Update, December 8th: Applications are now closed.
We’re looking for 3 exciting positions to join our core team: a Senior Tech Manager, a Senior Research Lead, and a Research Manager.
All of the positions will be part of our core team. Our team is distributed, meaning the Internet is our office. We need you to have a solid internet connection and, as we may ask you to travel, to be near enough to an airport that you can comfortably hop on a plane.
We put a lot of effort into creating a healthy, remote organisation, and we believe that caring about our team’s wellbeing is a political act. Our team members are curious, humble and supportive of each other. We are critical optimists about the role technology and data can have in the push for social justice.
The Engine Room is a global team and we consider diversity to be a competency. We actively seek diverse perspectives, experiences and voices in all areas of our team and in our work. Our organisation prioritises empathy, respect, humility, flexibility, fun and a healthy work-life balance.
We highly encourage individuals from all areas of the world, backgrounds, experiences and identities to apply. We are entirely remote which means we don’t have a physical office anywhere, and all our staff and contractors work remotely.
Our open roles
We are looking for a Senior Research Lead. The deadline for applying for this is December 7th, and we hope for the position to start in February 2019.
- The Senior Research Lead will lead on the vision for our research strategy, supported by the senior management team; provide guidance and input on research methods used across the organisation, and ensure cohesion and quality of the research carried out at The Engine Room. They’ll manage larger projects, and give input into fundraising.
We have two roles to start immediately, which you can read about in more detail on our jobs page.
The deadline to apply for these two positions is December 2nd, and we would like these positions to start on January 1, 2019 or as close to that date as possible.
- The Senior Tech Manager will manage our Transmission team, overseeing our internal and external-facing technical work; ensuring our approach to technology is synced up across the organisation; fundraising, and working with the senior management team to grow our work.
- The Research Manager will work closely with the Director of Research and Engagement, managing fee-for-service projects, and producing stellar research outputs. They’ll design, implement and manage research projects, often working with consultants, and supporting organisations and sectors to answer hard questions about tech and data.
Why work with us?
Technology is changing a lot about our society, including the way in which civil society can hold power to account, connect with each other, and mobilise data to push for social justice. We work with civil society partners – from big humanitarian organisations, to small activist collectives, and everything in between – to build their technical intuition, and support them in making better judgements about the role tech and data can play in their work.
We’re optimistic about the role tech and data can play in pushing for positive social change – but we’re aware of the new vulnerabilities and challenges that they bring. We believe in collaboration, humility, and humour. We believe our work matters, but we don’t take ourselves too seriously. We’re kind to each other and ourselves, and we hold ourselves to high standards.
If that sounds like you, read on.
HOW TO APPLY
We will be reviewing submissions as they come in, with the deadlines as below:
- Senior Tech Manager and Research Manager: December 2nd. Both these applications are now closed.
- Senior Research Lead: December 7th. This application is now closed.
We do a multi-stage interview process, starting with screening calls, followed by calls with our People Lead and your potential colleagues, and we ask for references for finalists, too. This process takes a few weeks in total – we want to get the best people on board and support you to do your very best work, and gathering all that information takes time.
We highly encourage interested candidates to apply immediately. Applications must be received via the Breezy platform, and links to each application can be found on our jobs page. Applications received via email will not be considered.
If you have any questions, please reach out to Anneke, our People Lead, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Click below to view the three open roles.