We’re looking for an Interim Executive Director for The Engine Room.
As our Interim Executive Director, you would be joining our team for a 6 month period while our current Executive Director is on medical leave, to ensure that the organization continues to function in a healthy way. You will work closely with the Board, the Leadership Team, and the Ops & HR team to deliver on organisational objectives, with a focus on financial health, operational integrity and staffing.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Engine Room is currently going through a period during which we need an Interim leader who has proven commitment to our values to maintain our operational and financial stability.
The Interim Executive Director will be responsible for the overall administration, finances and legal management of the organisation. They’ll support the Deputy Directors to build and maintain funder relationships, operationalise our fundraising strategy and ensure consistency between our operations and programmatic work. Working closely with the Ops & HR team, the Interim Executive Director is responsible for guiding team-wide operations and managing TER’s engagement with the board. They will support the Deputy Directors and the team leads to ensure that our day-to-day project level work is aligned with the organisation’s broader goals, and that our programmatic teams deliver excellent quality and timely work.
- You are an empathetic leader who has experience working at an executive level and with a distributed international team. You have extensive experience in 501(c)(3) nonprofit management in the US.
- You are a clear and proactive communicator and an accountable, reliable and diligent leader!
- You do not need to have expert knowledge about technology and data, but you care deeply about social justice and equity.
We welcome applications from folks with diverse backgrounds and we consider diversity as a competency.
You must have
- 3+ years experience in an Executive leadership role
- 4+ years experience, or deep familiarity with, the compliance, operations and finance needs and requirements for a 501(c)(3)
- 4+ years experience as an empathetic and thoughtful people manager
- Remote work experience
- Legal residence in the United States, within GMT-5 and GMT-8 time zones range (i.e. Eastern, Central, Mountain, or Pacific time zones). Our team is based in the Americas, Europe and Africa, so some overlap with their working hours would be necessary for collaboration and communication purposes (eg. 3pm-5pm UTC).
- Fluency in English
It would be nice to have
- Experience overseeing compliance with employment laws and financial regulations
- Demonstrated knowledge or interest in technology and social change, or social justice work
- Fundraising and business development experience, particularly with US-based donors and philanthropic foundations
- Experience stepping into a leadership position during transition periods (eg. as an interim ED, or as senior staff)
- Demonstrable experience working with people from different cultural backgrounds
How to apply
- Review additional information about working at The Engine Room on our Jobs page and Application Process FAQs.
- Submit your application materials via this link on the Breezy platform.
The deadline for applications for the Interim Executive Director position is Monday, January 31, 2022 midnight Eastern Time.