In the coming months, Engine Roomers will be at several different events, in person, and we’d love to see you there! Take a look at the events below and reach out if you’ll be there, too, and would like to meet up.
This week, Helen was at the CHA Conference 2023 in Berlin, hearing from humanitarian practitioners and developing our thinking around what responsible tech use can look like in the sector and beyond.
We’re excited to be at RightsCon in San José, Costa Rica on 5-8 June. You can catch Paola, Laura and Cathy facilitating sessions in-person, Quito facilitating a session online, and other Engine Roomers participating in many other sessions! (Times below are for San José, and links are only available to registered participants.)
- Tuesday, June 6, 2023 @ 10:15am | Boiling point: online hate in the face of the climate emergency (online)
- Tuesday, June 6, 2023 @ 12:45pm | The role of free and open-source software for digital resilience of civil society (in-person)
- Tuesday, June 6, 2023 @ 3:15pm | Embodying everyday technology, with a climate justice perspective (online)
- Wednesday, June 7, 2023 @ 8am | Walking new paths: practicing co-leadership for the futures we want, with Fondo de Acción Urgente de América Latina y el Caribe (FAU-AL) | FRIDA | The Young Feminist Fund (hybrid)
- Wednesday, June 7, 2023 @ 2pm | Organising around digital ID systems: exploring advocacy strategies for civil society (in-person)
Julia will be at RightsCon representing her work as Senior Tech Policy Fellow with the Mozilla Foundation, organising a workshop to establish a roadmap for how the right to bodily integrity could be introduced in responsible tech advocacy efforts. Catch up with her at DataBody Futures: centering respect and integrity in the digital world (online) on Tuesday, June 6 at 9am.
Following RightsCon, Paola will be co-facilitating the “Sustainable and Equitable Infrastructures” track in a 2-day event organised by the Green Screen climate justice and digital rights coalition – Ford Foundation, Mozilla Foundation, Ariadne Network, Stiftung Mercator and the Internet Society Foundation.
On 19-20 June, Quito will be at the Data Justice Conference in Cardiff while Bárbara is at MozFest House in Amsterdam. Quito is looking to learn more about how the collective can be reimagined in the pursuit of data justice while Bárbara is eager to connect with activists from global movements working for justice in the digital space. Bárbara will also be joining Lori Regattieri in a session called “Against Recursive-Colonialism in Tech: Mapping Ecological Practices of Friction and Reparations from the Global South”.
We’re excited and grateful to be attending events in person again. If there’s a space you think we should be at – as speakers or attendees – feel free to reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.